- Encourage greater application of the geosciences in sustainable use of land, mineral, energy, and water resources
- Generate geoscience information for policy development, and communicate this information broadly.
- Grow multidisciplinary initiatives to create new knowledge and tools to solve environmental problems
- Strengthen the interest of the geoscience community in environmental management and sustainable development
- Make the essential contributions of geoscience to sustainable development and environmental management known to planners and decision-makers
- Engage the key stakeholders involved in specific environmental management and sustainable development issues